As I’m sure you’ve heard, kale is another one of those Superfoods. High in Antioxidants, high in Vitamin A, high in fiber… yeah, yeah, nom, nom. The trick is figuring out the best way to eat it without feeling like you’re being punished. I personally have a strong affinity for kale. Chopped, pureed, or sautéed, I’m into it, but it took time. You have to build up to it. I suggest starting with something big in flavor… Like a Kale Caesar Salad with Quinoa (I also add chicken).
Shredded rotisserie chicken, or grilled chicken breast
1 cup quinoa
1 3/4 cup chicken broth (or water)
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tsp anchovy paste (available at most grocery stores near the oils and vinegars… or anchovies)
4 tbls fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 tbl Dijon mustard
4 tbls freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano
2 whole garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup good olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp fresh ground pepper
*traditional Caesar salad is made with egg yolk, which makes it creamier – I’m not really into that, but if you are, you can try a dollop or two of mayonnaise as an egg yolk alternative.
1. Rinse quinoa. In a medium sauce pan,add chicken broth, quinoa, and lemon juice. Over medium heat, bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer. Cover and cook about 12-15 minutes.
2. In a mixing bowl, add anchovy paste, garlic, mustard, parmesan, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce and lemon juice, until combined. Then slowly add the olive oil as you mix (with a fork or a whisk) to emulsify. If it’s too thick, add a little cold water. Set aside.
3. Rinse kale and spinach thoroughly and pat dry, then coarsely chop. Add to large mixing bowl.
4. Once quinoa is cooked, fluff it up with a fork and season with salt and pepper.
5. Add dressing to salad mixture and massage with your hands. The lemon juice actually helps break down the kale leaves, making it easier to eat, and easier to digest. Allow to sit for a couple minutes.
6. Add quinoa and shredded chicken, give it a good toss.
7. Serve immediately and garnish with sliced avocado. –China Moss